Search Discussions

Main Content

  • nitabonita

    This is exciting. How do you become a part of the trial? 

  • richgreerusa

    My wife was diagnosed with RRMS in 2011.  We have been following stem cell research with MS.  We would be delighted to hear of advancements, any clinical trials or other procedures that may help her.  Please advise.

  • stoianoff

    Has any work on stem cell therapies been done on people with progressive (primary or secondary) MS?

  • randeeplus5

    Are kids eligilbe for the study or treatment? My 13 yr old has MS

  • khuff
    Dr. Burt works with Children. He works with M.S., Crohns, Juvenile Diabetes
  • ksqred

    I met with Dr. Burt & Dr. Cohen in 2003 and at the time I was using a cane to walk but scooter for distances. I flew to NW  from Washington DC. It was the most memorable & awful day since being diagnosed in 1996. Not because they turned me down for a the  study but because they were the first to verbally say I was PPMS. That was 11 years ago and the silver lining to that visit was being referred to Dr. Peter Calabresi @ Johns Hopkins. My MS has progressed but I am as they say a research rat and have been in several clinical trials. I am also still working and advocacy for MS issues has become my passion. I am happy for others and hope that sooner than later Stem Cell therapy becomes available to us PPMS folks.  

  • wwenzel

    Since 2007, I was treated for MS unsuccessfully with Betaseron and Tysabri.  The drugs gave me side effects, but did not stop my MS attacks and physical decline. In 2013, risk of the deadly brain infection PML forced me to stop doing Tysabri infusions. That led to a severe Tysabri MS rebound attack on my brainstem that put me in a wheelchair and almost killed me. 

    In February 2014, Dr. Burt treated me with HSCT and chemotherapy to reset my immune system. The procedure worked! Now I don't need a wheelchair anymore, I'm not taking any MS drugs and I'm starting to get my life back.  For me, HSCT was nothing short of a life-saving procedure. Thank you Dr. Burt!  

    My blog is http://msvictoryhsct.blogspot.com

     

  • jarrodschlipf

    I'm getting ready for this procedure now currently fighting my insurance to cover the cost. I'm very excited about the procedure,they say there is no cure but I say HSCT is that cure 

  • Dan-Susan
    If I have missed the initial conversation, is it available anywhere? It seems that there are a lot of neighbors, family members with MS. One of my dear friends, with MS became progressively worse and traveled out of country and received stem cell therapy. She has gone from wheelchair to running races. I have long believed that proper stem cell therapy held the answer. The cost of this therapy is prohibitive. Is it possible to participate in a study, or to find a way to receive stem cell treatment that is within the financial possibility?
  • jaber

    Watch this:

    http://www.stemcell-immunotherapy.com/pub_vid_yt_ms.html

    I talked to patient mom which is on the video, Roxanne got really better, I am pretty happy for her.

     

    i have applied for the trial, I hope they get me.

  • jeb34139

    What is your research exactly. I have the disease don't give me the cliff notes. It's a waste of time. By the way. How much money did you receive in2014 from federal funds?

  • DGA
    As someone who's part of the study and gone through Dr. Burt's procedure 14 months ago, only thing I've got to say is that it's life changing. My MS had a slow progression and I was relatively fine physically going into the procedure. Having it probably for a long, long time I did not even realize that some things that I thought were normal were related to my MS. A little over a year out of the procedure, I'm stronger and better off now than I've been for a long, long time; did not even realize some of these symptoms going into it. And most importantly of all, I'm MS free. This is not just suppressing it, with xx% of fewer relapses as all the meds state, but completely and utterly free of it. My new immune system treats my myelin as it's own and not something foreign, while my body recovers and I gain back some of the physical things I've lost. Name one drug that does that? If you can get treated, you most definitely should. If my MS cropped up again I'd be back in Chicago within a heartbeat for round two with a smile on my face. For more in-depth reading: http://www.stemcell-immunotherapy.com/index.html
  • sandydefalco

    I want to volunteer for stem cell research!

  • khuff
    Dr. Richard Burt is the worlds leader in Stem Cell therapy. I was so lucky and blessed the day he personally picked up his phone and called me after all treatment at the Cleveland Clinic had failed and all M.S. treatments had failed. I was told 4 years ago in Cleveland Ohio that Stem Cell was something that did not even exist for M.S. but thank God a bone marrow network led me to Dr. Burt and they told me he was the leader in Auto Immune disease. This man is a genius, he is also kind, considerate, caring and I thank him every day for taking a chance on me. I have a rare form of Multiple Sclerosis called Tumefactive, I also have Sjogrens, IGA deficiency, Raynauds, Hashimotos and Potts syndrome. The stem cell transplant halted the large masses in my brain that were not stopping growth with steroids, copaxone and 10 days of plasmapheresis the masses continued to grow. I had started IVIG and that started to work and then I started the stem cell process. I have been fortunate that in 4 years I have not had a new mass in my brain. I did go into full menopause after stem cell and still wonder about Dr. Voskuhl's study on estrial, which made my masses shrink while pregnant during my first attack 14 years ago. Would it be good to add estrial at this point? I always wondered but never pursued this because I am stable at the moment and I figure I have something to add if it came to that. I still receive IVIG and it helps my inflammation and to ward off infection, IGA deficiency is core so you can't stem cell that away! All I can say is that Dr. Burt is fabulous! The trips to Chicago were worth every second. Every doctor I have been treated by has been so professional and very intelligent. I briefly spoke with a couple of my Cleveland Clinic doctors after treatment and they now have a new stem cell program that is rolling out. I hope they do well with it but I am glad that I received the life saving care I needed with the number one doctor in the Country!!
  • khuff
    khuff wrote: Dr. Richard Burt is the worlds leader in Stem Cell therapy. I was so lucky and blessed the day he personally picked up his phone and called me after all treatment at the Cleveland Clinic had failed and all M.S. treatments had failed. I was told 4 years ago in Cleveland Ohio that Stem Cell was something that did not even exist for M.S. but thank God a bone marrow network led me to Dr. Burt and they told me he was the leader in Auto Immune disease. This man is a genius, he is also kind, considerate, caring and I thank him every day for taking a chance on me. I have a rare form of Multiple Sclerosis called Tumefactive, I also have Sjogrens, IGA deficiency, Raynauds, Hashimotos and Potts syndrome. The stem cell transplant halted the large masses in my brain that were not stopping growth with steroids, copaxone and 10 days of plasmapheresis the masses continued to grow. I had started IVIG and that started to work and then I started the stem cell process. I have been fortunate that in 4 years I have not had a new mass in my brain. I did go into full menopause after stem cell and still wonder about Dr. Voskuhl's study on estrial, which made my masses shrink while pregnant during my first attack 14 years ago. Would it be good to add estrial at this point? I always wondered but never pursued this because I am stable at the moment and I figure I have something to add if it came to that. I still receive IVIG and it helps my inflammation and to ward off infection, IGA deficiency is core so you can't stem cell that away! All I can say is that Dr. Burt is fabulous! The trips to Chicago were worth every second. Every doctor I have been treated by has been so professional and very intelligent. I briefly spoke with a couple of my Cleveland Clinic doctors after treatment and they now have a new stem cell program that is rolling out. I hope they do well with it but I am glad that I received the life saving care I needed with the number one doctor in the Country!! I do want to give credit to Dr. Bruce Cohen he is a pediatric Neurologist with Akron Children's hospital (was at the clinic) I spoke with him about going to Northwestern and he gave me so much optimistic advice. Love that man! I do have some fantastic Ohio doctors!!
  • jaber

    How can I schedule an appointment with Dr Burt? I've already applied for the trial but did not hear back yet, recently my symptoms started getting worse, I am a refuge here in US and my family and I has no one to support them if I can not go out and work! 

  • GeorgeNevs

    How inspiring.  I'm curious to know if anybody knows of a Stem Cell treatment that does not involve Chemotherapy.  I know what Chemo does to an Immune System having worked at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in NYC in Medical Oncology for 7 years.  Not to mention the damage to healthy bacteria, and your gut which we all know is 80% of your immune system. Thank you, and love this discussion.

  • DGA
    GeorgeNevs wrote:

    How inspiring.  I'm curious to know if anybody knows of a Stem Cell treatment that does not involve Chemotherapy.  I know what Chemo does to an Immune System having worked at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in NYC in Medical Oncology for 7 years.  Not to mention the damage to healthy bacteria, and your gut which we all know is 80% of your immune system. Thank you, and love this discussion.



    There is none. Chemotherapy is actually the thing that does the trick here, meaning it kills off your old immune system that has a learned behavior of attacking your healthy tissue. Eradication of the old system and replacement with the new one you'll grow is the only way to get rid of MS.
  • maria1

    ??? If your stem cells(some) are removed, then you receive chemo and then your stem cells are put back, what is stopping those stem cells which have not had chemo, from continuing with a predisposition for ms?

  • Trudee_Manderfield

    maria1 wrote:

    ??? If your stem cells(some) are removed, then you receive chemo and then your stem cells are put back, what is stopping those stem cells which have not had chemo, from continuing with a predisposition for ms?


     

    The chemo removes the autoantibodies that are causing your immune system to attack itself. The new immune system doesn't recognize your own tissues as an invader to attack and the disease process stops.