Search Discussions

Main Content

  • phymit
    My question is I have been working with my husband at home for about 6 years. Before that worked outside my home for many years after being diagnosed with MS. Now the last year my reight side is very fatugued. My hand and leg which means I can no longer do data entry at a fast pace. I am trying for disability but very uncertion about this. I know no lawyers nor how to even start other than paperwork
  • maria1
    You need to see an md to have a note written to validate the inability to use your dominant hand. There will probably be some test done or a recommendation for physical therapy. Besides that they might have to rule out carpal tunnel and other hand/nerve/muscle problems.
  • MS Navigator Jess
    Hi phymit!

    Here's some information that should help you get started:

    You can apply for Social Security disability benefits online, in-person, or on the phone. You should consider how MS affects you when making your decision on how you want to apply.  How to apply is a personal decision, but things to consider include:
    • If you meet in person or apply by phone you will need to have met with your doctor already and have all documents prepared before applying. These options give you the opportunity to talk to a live person.  Applying in person will allow you to meet directly with SSA personnel and ask questions in real time. Of course, you will need to travel to your nearest office or be prepared to wait a few days for an appointment.
    • If you choose to apply online you have the ability to take your time and save information as you go, but you will not be able to speak to a live person.

    In person.  If you want to apply in person, you can find the most convenient Social Security location.   To schedule an appointment in a local SSA office, call 1-800-772-1213.

    On the phone. Call 1-800-772-1213 to schedule a phone appointment. This will allow you to have some contact with the local SSA office without having to travel to the local office. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call the toll-free "TTY" number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

    Online. The online application allows you to save your work and come back later to finish. You won't need to leave your home, but you might not be able to readily talk to a live person for guidance.

    For more information, review the following Society resources:
    Social Security Disability Guidebook for People with MS and their Healthcare Providers 
    Resources for Social Security Disability Insurance Self Advocacy

    For more general information, request the SSA Disability Starter kit by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security website.