Search Discussions

Main Content

  • waltzing_matilda
    Hi.  I'm in my 50s and no longer working.  I recently inherited enough money to live a good life without having to work.  The only thing in the way is this &%@# disease.  I always planned to retire abroad but now I'm worried that I won't be able to get permanent residency status in my preferred country because of my MS.  Some nations (Canada, for instance) require proof of health in applicants for residency,  Also, will my social security payments follow me outside the US?  Can Medicare be used to pay for some portion of treatment in a non-US healthcare system?  If I live outside the US, can I come back for neuro visits and get my meds shipped overseas?

    I don't even know where to START looking for information.  Does anyone out there know anything about this?
  • MS_Navigator_Steven

    This is Steve with the National MS Society.  

    The following link will take you to a video which outlines some of the scenarios in which Medicare will pay for services outside the US.  You may also want to call Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE with any specific questions.

    Best of luck and please let us know if there is any way we can be of assistance.  Take care!