About Me

  • Gender Male
  • Age 55
  • Relationship Married

My Story 0

Initially I noticed sudden weakness in my legs as I was going to sit down. I didn't think it was remarkable, but I noticed it. Later after a tooth extraction (not an important detail, but how I remember the timeline) I found my coordination and balance were a little off. I went to a doctor at the clinic and he told me that It was probably an inner ear infection. after a round of nasonex and no help. I went to my GP for my annual physical. My GP said I may have balance issues and I went to a balance specialist. They found no specific problems with my balance as far as the general elements of balance were concerned. I tried their exercises to no avail. After that my left foot started to drop and trip me up regularly. I went to a chiropractor to see if maybe I had spine issues that would affect my gait. After doing a few tests he said he had nothing to treat me and that I needed to get to a Neurologist to get an opinion. I followed his advice and went to my first neurologist about 8 months after my first symptoms. After meeting with a neurologist he sent me to get an MRI as he suspected it might be a benign brain tumor. After the scan of both my brain and neck he said I was a peculiar case (nothing anyone wants to hear). He told me that at 52 I was the wrong age, the wrong sex and I only had 1/2 of the symptoms for MS. My upper body strength was fine. my mental faculties at the time appeared to be adequate. Just my gate and weakness was all the pronounced at that time. He sent me to see a colleague to get another opinion. The 2nd doctor was an MS specialist. I have some misgivings since if you are a specialist in something you often will tend to see problems through the lens of your strongest experience. He was unwilling to say MS at first but after nearly a year and my 2nd MRI (no progression) He said he is putting down a tentative MS diagnosis. I was put on a steroid to see if the shrinking attributes of that drug would help. He said if it did help that would be a good indicator of MS. It didn't. After that I tried the drug Ampyra for nearly 2 months. After 6 weeks I found no improvement in my gait at all. Then I was informed of my co-pay in order to continue that drug. I stopped immediately. In that time, my fatigue is more pronounced and my gait has not improved though I am in therapy to see if I can retrain my brain somewhat. My brain (ever my enemy) has resisted my attempts to teach this old dog a new trick. That leads me here. I will be seeing another Neurologist in a few weeks and I suspect that I will hear more of the same, which is nothing specific.


My Activity